Re: Concise Format for EXI Grammar

From: Carine Bournez <carine@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:36:30 -0500
To: Yusuke DOI <yusuke.doi@toshiba.co.jp>
Cc: public-exi@w3.org
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 04:49:12AM +0900, Yusuke DOI wrote:
> Dear EXI gurus,
>
> Is there any intermediate format to describe EXI grammar?
>
> As I'm working for several EXI-related projects including SEP2, I'm
> feeling it's very convenient if we can share EXI grammar in well-defined
> format. The format used in EXI spec is very descriptive, but I guess
> that grammar notation is for humans.
>
> If there's machine-readable (e.g. in plain text or XML) intermediate
> format for EXI grammars, I believe we can reduce troubles on
> spec-understanding stage by sharing a good grammar between
> implementations. Then people can focus on implementations for various
> devices of their own.

The EXI 1.0 specification does not define a format to exchange grammars
between processors. It specifies how to build the grammars in a non-ambiguous
way, so that a grammar exchange is not needed. The grammar notation used in the
specification is for implementers of EXI processors and it has no
machine-readable serialization. In some applications it may be interesting
to define a serialized format of the grammars in use, but such a format
would be specific to each use case to suit best the application needs.

If you encounter particular interoperability issues about grammars, we
welcome your feedback and will do our best to clarify the specification
wording.

--
Carine Bournez -+- W3C Europe