Efficiently compressed XML

From: Steve Williams <steve.williams@advance-software.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:18:34 +0100
To: carine@w3.org, public-exi@w3.org
Dear Sirs,

    I am investigating methods of efficiently compressing 3D geometry
encoded in XML (not X3D).

I have identified FastInfoSet as one possible encoding and have just
discovered EXI.

A few questions, if I may. Please feel free to point me at a document if
this is all covered in the specification or an FAQ.

1. Is EXI considered a replacement for FIS, or are they competing
standards. Does the W3C have a preferred encoding ?

2. A suitable data format must include support for efficiently packing
floating point and integer arrays.

I note FIS has such support, what about EXI ?

3. Is there an EXI discussion group somewhere I can join ?

4. Is there an EXI C/C++ reference implementation ?

Best regards,

Steve Williams
Director
Advance Software