Re: Last Call comments

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:36:34AM +1100, SJ Kissane wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been reading the LC Working Draft,
> I note it has a normative reference to XML 1.0 specification,
> but none to the XML 1.1 specification.
>
> Is EXI 1.0 compatible with the use of XML 1.1?
> It is not clear from the working draft.
> Given we have two versions of XML defined at present,
> the working draft should discuss how EXI relates
> to the two different versions.
>
> I would assume that, everything in EXI 1.0 works just
> as well with XML 1.1, that XML 1.0 is required and
> XML 1.1 support is optional??? But, that is just an
> assumption on my part....

Simon,

Sorry for the very late response to your question.
EXI 1.0 is based on a mapping to the XML Information Set [1],[2].
The specification does not rely on a particular serialization.
The reference to XML 1.0 in the document is explaining the design
of the distinguishing bits, it has no consequence on an EXI
implementation. The next version of our specification will refer to
XML 1.0 5th edition as well as XML 1.1 Recommendations.

Thank you for your interest in EXI.

[1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset
[2]  http://www.w3.org/TR/exi/#InfosetMapping

On behalf of the EXI WG