EXI patent problem

From: Gengo Suzuki <suzuki.gengo@lab.ntt.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:14:55 +0900
To: public-exi@w3.org
Hello,

I am worried about patent violation of EXI specification.
In Japan there are some patent and pending patent about XML compression,
which wrote by Expway.  They are also international publication.

For example, in PCT/FR2001/002719, there is a claim about data compression
method for structured documents using automata which is compiled from structural
schema.

This is a basic principle, and I think that there is a little possibility of its registration.
But its priority date is 2000.9.6, and there are few public XML compression document
before that day.

Expway was EXI-WG member, so is there any restriction for them to use right driving
from their patents ?

Sincerely,

NTT Cyber Space Laboratories
Gengo Suzuki <suzuki.gengo@lab.ntt.co.jp>
TEL: +81-46-859-3412 FAX: +81-46-859-2768