RE: Decoding?

Hello Christina,

Thanks for the clarification!

You wrote:
> [...] The only step, as you say, that I did not find straightforward
> was decompression, so defining that in more detail may be helpful.
[...]
> [...] I think adding a sentence saying that deriving the decoding
> algorithm from the encoding algorithm is straightforward would clear
this up.

Actually, adding a comment about straightforwardness when there are
still open questions tends to really annoy people. :-)

We plan on publishing an FAQ as well; that seems like a good place to
add both your general question and an outline for an algorithm for
compression/decompression. (Technically, the spec defines a format
rather than an algorithm, so I'd be hesitant to put a purely algorithmic
description into it.)

I'll also ask the editors whether they want to add additional
clarifications to the spec itself.

Sincerely,
Daniel