RE: Decoding?

From: Vogelheim, Daniel <daniel.vogelheim@siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:13:33 +0200
To: "Christina Leber" <leber@ll.mit.edu>, <public-exi@w3.org>

Hello Christina,

Thanks for taking an interest in EXI!

> I noticed that this draft does not address decoding an
> encoded stream.
> Is there going to be anything on this topic added in the next draft?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you referring to the EXI Format
Working Draft, or the encoding example, or something else?

In either case, the general idea is that if either encoding or decoding
is described completely, then the respective other way is implicitly
defined as well. We expected that for most parts of the spec, the
mapping from encoding to decoding should be relatively straightforward,
with the possible exception of the value re-ordering and compression
step.

Adding both encoding and decoding to a specification is usually
problematic, since that introduces plenty of opportunities for
inconsistencies. For an example, there would be no problem, of course.

Christina, I think it is rather important that our documents will be
readily understandable. Could please describe in more detail what
information you are missing, so that we'd know where we need additional
clarifications? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Daniel Vogelheim