Handling of list of strings having pattern facets in preserve.lexical mode

From: Antoine Mensch <antoine.mensch@odonata.fr>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:28:05 +0100
To: public-exi-comments@w3.org
Hi,

We have a question regarding the handling of list of strings having
pattern facets in preserve.lexical mode: while this is a "cornercase",
the spec is not completely clear about how it should be handled:
* In preserve.lexical mode, lists must be encoded as Strings (section 7).
* The restricted character set of a List type is the restricted
character set of its item type (section 7).
* There is no default character set to be used in preserve.lexical for
the String Datatype: so we assume that the restricted character set to
be used for a XSD type derived from xsd:string is the one defined based
on the pattern facets, as described in section 7.1.10.1.

If we follow the above rules, and the restricted character set derived
from the patterns does not contain whitespaces (which is likely, as
whitespaces are not welcome in string values used in lists), then we
will have a deviation from the restricted character set and an explicit
codepoint for each whitespace in the list lexical representation.

Is that the correct interpretation and the intent of the spec? A simple
fix could be to add whitepaces to the restricted character set of lists
when deriving it from the item type restricted character set, but that
would require a change of the spec.

Cheers

Antoine Mensch