[LC-2166] RE: Feedback of EXI specification 3

Hi Tooru,

Value qnames are represented as strings in EXI format. Because prefixes used
in an instance and its corresponding schema are declared in each document
independently from the other, enumerated values in schema are of little use for
types derived from xsd:QName since value qnames in EXI streams are strings.
Note, however, that markup qnames which occur as the names of elements
and attributes are represented using built-in QName datatype representation [1].

The rationale for the use of strings as the representation of value qnames
is primarily so as to avoid the anticipated processing efficiency overhead that
is likely to be involved if we used built-in QName datatype representation for
value qnames. This concern of processing efficiency overhead is particular to
value qnames, and is not foreseen for markup qnames. Therefore we use built-in
QName datatype representation for markup qnames.

In reviewing the spec to answer your question, we have found an omission
in the table that defines the default relationship between the schema datatypes
and built-in EXI datatypes [2]. XML Schema type xsd:QName and xsd:NOTATION
need to be added to the type list in the row of string datatype representation.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-exi-20080919/#encodingQName
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-exi-20080919/#builtInEXITypes

Hope it helps,

-taki