Re: japanese encoding nightmare

Paul Arenson wrote:
>>> CODE
>>
>> but this page is not in utf-8 but in shift-jis
>
>> Either you have to save your page as utf-8 or to change the encoding
>> information to
>> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;">
>

> It is?  I don't recall using that.  hmmm.  And when i save to desktop,
> changing to shift jis doesn't help, nor does looking at it on the web.
> Oh well....

Remember that <META HTTP-EQUIV="..." ...> elements are not supposed
to be read by the browser when the browser retrieved the document
from a server.

Such META elements are for the server to read and use to construct
real HTTP header fields (if the server chooses that mechanism).

(When dereferencing a "file:..." URL, there is no explicit service,
so browsers are probably allowed to read META elements, but they
very well might not.)

Daniel