Re: Google Code: Web Authoring Statistics

On 2/2/06, Pid <webmaster@neutralgrey.net> wrote:

> While I'm not yet sure that there's a case for HTML5, it does address
> something I've been thinking about for a while.  The use of semantically
> attributed elements denoting functions "header", "footer", "nav", "menu"
> are (already widely accepted to be) in widespread use - the report is
> more evidence of that.

This is exactly the point I was making when I posted about
Google's Web Authoring Statistics on my blog:

http://loadaveragezero.com/app/s9y/index.php?/archives/72-Google-Code-Web-Authoring-Statistics.html

> If our documents are intended to provide meaning to, or be decipherable
> by, both human *and* machine then there is a case for some formalisation
> of these functions.  Maybe this can be achieved in XHTML through some
> form of meta data.
>
> As XHTML/HTML is (with documents and user-agents) already in widespread
> use, some extension mechanism is probably the only way to achieve this.
>
> Google's own XML Sitemaps already provide a model for describing
> sitewide meta data, though it would make slightly more sense if they
> were also referenced in HTML meta data, (via the link element?).  It
> would be relatively simple* to specify and construct a short document
> that described the internal document structure of pages in the site.

Or perhaps the profile attribute of the <head> element?
XMDP is one proposal that uses this technique.

--
Douglas Clifton
dwclifton@gmail.com