Re: Digital Web Magazine - Seven Accessibility Mistakes (Part 1)

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:47:06 +0100 (MET)
To: nextofkynn@gmail.com
Cc: public-evangelist@w3.org

> > But, Nielsen's "Don't listen to users" [1] applies here as well, so
> > testing is still far more commendable than just asking users.
>
> Jakob Nielsen seems to prefer the eye-catching controversial headline
> to common sense approach to accessibility.  In this case, it's more
> unhelpful than helpful to "not listen to users" who operate
> screenreaders; his little dictats get poorly quoted often.  (They're
> not scripture, after all.)

Though I admittedly did only a few users tests including people with
disabilities, this principle apparently held true. And I don't think it's
necessary to qualify Nielsen's work here.

> > And from my experience, trying out assistive technologies (AT) is
> > perfect for sensitization. [...]
>
> Sensitiziation isn't the same thing as finding out how screenreaders
> are actually used.

Of course not, but you can (let) try out AT for both purposes.

> What you describe is sort of like if you're trying to design a
> motocross track for motorcycles, but you don't know how to ride.
> Instead of asking experienced off-road bike folks how to do it, you go
> out and get yourself a Harley, ride it a couple times, and leave it in
> your garage.

No. That metaphor is only correct if you make it the first step, including
that the Harley stays in use (or gets sold and replaced by a more suitable
device).

--
Jens Meiert
Information Architect