Re: Benefits of application/xhtml+xml

I've made this sort of argument before. You can use
a decent browser as a sort of syntax checker, or even
pass the markup through a stand-alone XML parser
(and then the W3C validator as a further step). If there
are other XHTML "lint" style applications out there,
I am unaware of them.

The problem most developers have with XHTML is in
coping with dynamic sources of content, a commenting
system for instance. If the software isn't clever enough
to strip or reform tags from such input, then it breaks
the whole page...

But I agree with Karl, it is a good sanity check.
A programmer certainly wouldn't want to distribute
software in source form if the code has syntax
errors in it!

--
Douglas Clifton
dwclifton@gmail.com