Re: Got keep learning or being professional with Web standards

Molly Holzschlag wrote:
> However, there are many of us who have stayed in the game, learn new
> methods, understand our craft to the best of our knowledge and put a lot of
> extra time into our ongoing learning as well as participation in the sharing
> of our longer experiences - which can actually make us far better at what we
> do because we understand more deeply how things work ideally, worked
> realistically, can work now, and will work in at least the near future.
>
> For the record, I'm 42, and many of my colleagues are in their later 30s and
> 40s as well. It's the ones that *have the passion* that stay in the game.
> And, while I'm fundamentally against certification per se, there isn't an
> industry standard for professionalism in this field. How do we gain that?
> That's the real question.

Yes, please understand I was talking only from /my/ experience.  I would
assume, though I didn't know any before just now, professionals that had
been in the game since the older days of html that do indeed stay on top
of the new stuff.
> If people care about the quality of work they do, no matter their
> profession, they read trade magazines, follow web sites and blogs relevant
> to their work. Any professional worth his or her salt does this - doctors,
> lawyers, antique dealers, architects, chefs - you name it, it's done. So I
> cannot buy into the idea that the more established designers have any excuse
> for not applying themselves. Now, this is not to say that it's easy, because
> I know from my own struggles and the struggle to help others along the way
> just how hard it is. But laziness is no excuse, and unfortunately, that's
> what I see is part of the problem.

Exactly

Rob Lowe
http://www.dotcom-multimedia.com