XHTML 1.0 versus HTML 4.01

Le 05-05-06 à 16:22, Vincent François a écrit :
> What do you think about the idea of going back to HTML 4.01 because
> XHTML 1.0 is delivered as text/html ?

You don't go back to something. You only choose the language which
suits your need. There's nothing wrong in one or the other.

I encourage that you use Strict for XHTML 1.0 AND HTML 4.01

> Replace this
> with this

Plus all the mark-ups which are different.

For example, Why I prefer to use XHTML 1.0 over HTML 4.01, in my
personal case. Because for my workflow, I can just apply an XSLT on
my XHTML 1.0 files to create an RSS feed, an automatic index of my
Web pages, etc.
For me it's just practical. It's not forbidden to serve XHTML 1.0 as
text/html. It is for XHTML 1.1

I'm about to definitely switch my *personal* Web site to application/
xhtml+xml, which might crash users of IE 6.0 Win. There are now many
browsers supporting the mime type "application/xhtml+xml"

For IE7 Win, there's a request for application/xhtml+xml support on
their wiki.
http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/
Channel9.InternetExplorerStandardsSupport

Dominique Hazaël-Massieux has written a guide for serving both
     http://www.w3.org/2003/01/xhtml-mimetype/content-negotiation

Just use correctly the language of your choice: be HTML 4.01, XHTML
1.0 or XHTML 1.1. Don't make it for the beauty of it, but for what
suits your needs and your workflow.

Best.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***