Valid XML

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:36:41 +0100
To: <public-evangelist@w3.org>

How to we encourage sites to care about valid XML?

I was just reading bloglines and thought it was a bit odd that one of the
blogs had strange chinese glyphs in the middle of someones norwegian name, a
bit of digging showed up that the source XML file at
http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/buzz.xml wasn't even well-formed.

The problem is, that as a bloglines user, it was definately a lot more
valuable for it to actually show me the RSS entry, even with the encoding
failure, than stop processing the XML at the WF error as the spec mandates -
if it had done that, I'd never have been able to see the interesting post at
the webstandards site?

I really can't see how I can approach bloglines now and ask for them to
follow the XML standards, does anyone have any arguments I could use?

Cheers,

Jim.