Re: web standards project article

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:03:55 -0700, Molly E. Holzschlag <molly@molly.com> wrote:

> But the harsh, unfriendly, and unfeeling tones are disrespectful,
> dismissive, and do not make me very inclined to put my hand into the fire.

Molly,

There are those of us who are of the opinion that your article is
perhaps the single most important one about the present and future of
web development written in recent years.  You have raised some very
good, very VALID points about the state of the web today, where we're
going, where we want to go, and how to get there. (Yes I read all that
into the article.)

More importantly than my personal opinion of the article (or anyone
else's for that matter), you initiated an important and productive
discussion on these things.  There are some good ideas being bandied
about on this list because of what you wrote.  I'd hate to see all
that positive energy go to waste because of the insensitivity of a
few, and I'd hate to see the person who generated that energy give up
wanting to contribute for the same reason.

Most of us sit and whine the state of web standards today (or should I
say best web practices), but few of us ever really have the motivation
to do something to try to effect change, even though we all have equal
access to the same soapbox known as the world wide web.  You did
something positive.  Don't give up on it now.

Now with that said, I'd love to see us get back to the great debate we
had started before it was interrupted.

My own personal take,

Bryce Fields, Web Developer
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education/
www.royalrodent.com