Multimedial Evangelization

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:39:24 +0100
To: public-evangelist@w3.org

Hi,

  Evangelizing Web Standards is getting boring. All we have is dry
specifications, some web sites, geeky validators and some badges [1]
in W3C's 20th century corporate design.

I think it is time to catch up with the Web Accessibility Initiative and
advertise Web Standards through Cooler Multimedia [2] which is part of
W3C's mission [3]. WAI's approach to advertise its deliverables through
music has proven to be very successful [4], hence I propose that the QA
Acitivity launches a theme song contest as a first step to encourage the
community to make web standards cooler through music.

The contest should be public, hence all it takes is setting up a cool
and convincing contest web site, a submission mailing list, a WBS poll
to let the community vote on submissions and means to make the public
aware of the contest. For the latter I propose to add a pointer to the
contest web site on the various Validator's homepages.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/logo-usage-20000308.html
[2] http://davidmacd.com/web_pages/wcag_theme.htm
[3] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Points/
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2003JulSep/0606.html