RDF hits the Desktop

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:15:38 -0400
To: public-evangelist@w3.org

The topic seems a bit distant than the usual ones on public evangelist.
But not so far if we consider the W3C Technologies as a hub which are
working together.

The importance of metadata is more and more important and desktop
computers with their filesystem seems to adopt more and more a graph
model for it.  A good article of Ed Dumbill about the benefits of RDF
for the desktop.

http://usefulinc.com/articles/2004/desktop-metadata

"""
My premise then is that more metadata is required to create a usable
desktop for users and manage the increasing volume of information
stored in our homes. That's a conclusion other people are agreeing
with, too. Microsoft's next-generation operating systems will
ultimately include WinFS, a file system supporting the attachment of
arbitrary metadata to files. Mac OS X is acquiring similar
functionality. ReiserFS has been trying to do it for ages. Closer to
GNOME, there are projects like Dashboard, Storage and iFolder.
"""

* More references
WinFS / RDF
http://www.netcrucible.com/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=69ec2c8c-7a78-4a79-