RE: New danish survey - Web standards

From: Brian Kelly <B.Kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:09:35 -0000
To: 'Soren Johannessen' <standard@ae35-unit.dk>
Cc: public-evangelist@w3.org

> >Hi Soren
> >  Another question about the methodology.
> >  Did you validate the page that the end user would view or
> the entry
> >point of the Web site?  I've sometimes found that redirects
> (which can
> >be implemented in several ways)can mean that these aren't
> identical and
> >this can affect the results of validation checks - i.e. you end up
> >analysing a HTTP redirect message and not the final page
> which the user sees.
> >

> Hi Brian
>
> Since it's the main entry point like www.db.dk, www.kb.dk etc
> I have been testing. I don't think there is any HTTP redirect
> so often. So I am almost 99 % sure that the validation survey
> shows the final page which the enduser sees.

Hi Soren
   I'm finding an increasing number of Web site which have redirects from
the main entry point.  For example:
http://library.newcastle.gov.uk/
goes to
http://library.newcastle.gov.uk/cgi-bin/newcastle-cat.sh?

> >PS I also think it would be useful to record the MIME type
> of the entry
> >point - especially for XHTML documents.
> >
> You mean here if the XHTML documents has been served as
> "text/html" or as (application/xhtml+xml)?

Yes - although I've also found a small number which send incorrect HTTP
headers / MIME types (typically due to a misconfigured Web server).

For example the (non-existent) resource at
http://www.peoplesnetwork.gov.uk/foo

aends
HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0