Web Development course

From: <discuss@geekazoid.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:51:56 -0500 (EST)
To: public-evangelist@w3.org

I work at a community college and am proposing a new course that teaches
XHTML, DHTML, CSS and JavaScript.  I have to "justify" the course to a 9
panel board.  Here is what they are looking for

"Usually the review is focused on (1) ensuring that the proposal clearly
states a compelling need for the course and (2) reviewing the syllabus."

What I am looking for is "the compelling need" portion.  How can I justify
something we should have been teaching years ago to a group of non-IT
administrators/faculty?  The audience for the course is students at the
college who are degree seeking or just looking to update skills.

We currently teach an intro to web design with HTML and another course on
E-Commerce that touches on JavaScript.  We are behind the times to say the
least ;)

For those in the field on a more regular basis than myself.  Is it safe to
say these skills are necessary for survival?  Is there any info to back it
up?

It's a tough job convincing the "experts" that they are doing things
behind the times and we need to try to get on top of things or we will get
trampled on...

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions,

Dennis