Re: PCMag ranks the browsers and says IE6 is the best...

On Sunday, September 29, 2002, 8:40:55 PM, SanJo;) wrote:
> > The last browser to require Web developers to code page correctly
> > was Netscape Communicator 4.79.  I still use this browser and,
> > because of it I am able to launch top quality Websites.
>
> Well then, define correct HTML for me.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ - Tada!

Although, NS4 and IE/win's HTML4 support is comparable - the support
for other technologies such as CSS is what really matters.

> Pending your response, I view my pages in Netscape (and IE) to see
> how the browser will render them.  Netscape is honest enough to
> "tell" me when a table or paragraph tag is missing.  It doesn't try
> to do my thinking for me. Browser standards should require correct
> coding not gloss over sub-quality work.

NS6+, Mozilla and other Gecko-powered browsers can often be *much*
stricter in parsing HTML too. In fact, if you use XHTML and serve it
with a correct MIME type like application/xhtml+xml, then one unclosed
tag and the page won't render at all.

But they will still attempt to parse and render "tag soup" pages -
they have to, or nobody would even consider using them.

> Outdated is a relative, and in the computer industry, predetermined
> term.  Likewise, Netscape 4.79 works quite well.

Netscape 4 is an outdated, old, obsolete, stoneage, broken,
non-standard, and generally buggered-up browser. Do the Web a favour
and upgrade to a modern, standards-compliant browser. Or even
downgrade! At least NS3 didn't attempt to parse CSS and then fail
dreadfully.

And just a quick question: why on earth are you on this list when you
use NS4?

Thanks
--
Tom Gilder