Re: PCMag ranks the browsers and says IE6 is the best...

From: Peter Sheerin <pete@petesguide.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:46:34 -0700
To: "SanJo;\)" <tumkho@earthlink.net>, "Tom Gilder" <tom@tom.me.uk>, <public-evangelist@w3.org>

> Likewise, Netscape 4.79 works quite well.  However,
> because Microsoft has the computer industry by the prverbial floppy disks,
> the "standardars" are leaning in its direction.  Consequently, everthing
> that is contrary to the proclaimations of Bill Gates (who legally should be
> in jail) is considered broken and outdated.

Netscape 4.79 does not work quite well, thank you. Please fire it up and then
direct it at this address:

http://www.cadenceweb.com:8080/newsletter/sheerin/webstandards/

This page is composed using nearly web standards that are 4-1/2 years old, and
while you can see most of the content with Netscape 4.79, many things do not
render correctly at all. Here's a list of the most obvious things, starting at
the top of the page:

* The PNG images do not render correctly--their transparency is ignored and the
colors are changed.
* The linked style sheet is not loaded, removing all of the formatting,
including page layout and text formatting.
* This is a good thing, though, since if the style sheet were loaded, the page
would be formatted in a way
that renders it useless.
* Many important characters from Unicode are not displayed--even though unicode
is more than a decade old.

Oh, I almost forgot--most of that same list applies to IE6 for Windows as
well--good proof that most of us on this list are not holding up Microsoft as an
example of standards and progress.