Re: [Article] Web-Quality v1.1

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:21:34 +0900
To: Stephane Gigandet <biz@joueb.com>
Cc: public-evangelist@w3.org

Stephane,
A lot to answer here, I'll focus on the core.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002, Stephane Gigandet wrote:

> Stephane, Web hobbyist developer says:
> "Can you make the standards simpler?"

the answer is, no and yes.

I'll assume the "you" is "W3C" in your request...
Then no, W3C is not going to make standards easier for web hobbyists.
Web hobbyists should not read W3C specifications, they should use tools
(tools that conform to standards they wouldn't need to read), read books
or tutorials... but the standards are not for hobbyists to read.

W3C specifications are made for implementors (tools/frameworks/etc
developers), or the people that write the books and the tutorials
that web hobbyists should read. And for those, yes, W3C is trying
hard to make the specifications simpler. and you can actually do more
to help than saying the specs are too complicated (indeed some are,
unfortunately, we're painfully aware of it).

As you may know, this list is hosted by the Quality Assurance activity
at W3C, among the goals of which is to improve the quality of W3Cc
specifications through the creation of a "QA framework [1]", help the
"education and outreach" community in their work (through this list),
and more...

If you think you can help, please participate in the QA Interest Group,
which reviews and discusses the framework.
QAIG home :
	http://www.w3.org/QA/IG/
QAIG public discussion list :
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/