Re: Torture Test--Is this asking too much of the browser vendors?

From: ed nixon <ed.nixon@lynnparkplace.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:25:07 -0400
To: Peter Sheerin <pete@petesguide.com>
CC: public-evangelist@w3.org

If you are going to provide instructions, as you do in regard to the
points/inches box example, they should be comprehensive enough to work
properly, on all platforms if possible or, alternatively, to alert
readers to the unavailability of the feature.

For example, on my W2K system with my combination of graphics card and
monitor installed, I find neither the option tabs you mention nor a
"virtual ruler" with which to make adjustments or comparisons.

Finally, you might want to enhance the message by including some
scripting that provides sniffing/feedback to the reader about the type
and version of browser they are using, lists more egregious
limitations/bugs, and provides links to upgrades.

Otherwise, it's a good message even if I were to have aesthetic quibbles
with a very busy page design. Just because something *can* be done
doesn't always mean is *should* be done.

Congrats and good luck.              ...edN