Re: [Summary] What next?

At 5:45 PM +0900 7/23/02, Olivier Thereaux wrote:
>I must say I don't fancy lists : they're hard to maintain
>up-to-date, hard to make really objective

I agree that objectivity is hard to establish with any list of resources.
Still, the snappy appeal of a numbered list -- the literary equivalent of a
soundbyte -- should not be underrated.  It gets immediate attention, and if
the list is handled properly, it can be an enormously popular/useful
resource.

Perhaps we can address this "objectivity" challenge, somewhere, with a
distributed approach to rating the books (and online resources).  Sort of
like the Amazon approach, but more closely targeted at the specific
industry we're in.  I for one would love to see a list of books with
ratings distilled from the votes of my peers -- that is to say, the people
who care about good website design.

I live in a remote community, where I must purchase books sight-unseen.  It
would be nice to know the aggregate opinions of everyone here, and on our
sister lists -- if I follow all the good suggestions so far, Amazon will
eat my paycheque.

I'll follow this with the typical Overworked Webmaster's Pledge: "If no one
has done this, and no one is planning to, I'll do it, in a while".

-Joseph