Re: Standards Freshness

At 12:27 PM -0700 7/18/02, Al Abut wrote:
>funny you should ask today; by coincidence, Zeldman just posted a rave
>review of a new book on CSS. It's by Eric Meyer, the author you mentioned
>in your post, I guess it's his new one.

Thanks for the tip...  I was already thinking about that one, but had
concerns about the scope of the articles.  If Zeldman learned something, it
must be wide!  I think a visit to Amazon is in order.

>Not to get sidetracked, but there's a lot of how-to books out there for
>the technical issues of site development and not enough books that
>actually survey the scene and see what everybody's up to.

I agree, and have found a possible match.  Edited by our fellow list-mate
Molly Holzschlag (hi Molly!), "Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself" is a
real-world exploration of some big name, big audience sites (eBay,
metafilter, BBC News, Economist...).  The usability aspects of each site is
described in detail by the actual developers, so you're learning from the
horse's mouth as it were.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904151035/josephmclean
(Note shameless affiliation)

I haven't read it yet (just ordered), but the reviews are universally
five-star.

-Joseph