Re: Comparison of Standard and Proprietary Technologies

Two comments:

The 8-track was made obsolete by developing technology, not changes in standards. The standards for the 8-track still exist and no doubt someone somewhere has one that works.

Standards can be changed, yes, but in a publicly agreed and versioned manner. Proprietary techniques do not have this public constraint - may be better if they did, but a proprietary author is under no obligation to disclose - just say that 'this is the way it works now'.