Re: Comparison of Standard and Proprietary Technologies

steph wrote:

>Hi Brant,
>
>On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:00:24PM -0500, Brant Langer Gurganus wrote:
>

>>I fixed it.  It is at
>>http://moz.zope.org/Members/brantgurganus2001/evangelism/comparison
>>Please comment.
>>

>Looks good :)  Though I don't understand why you've
>said that the behavior of non-proprietary user agents is not
>guaranteed. Please enlighten?

I am just pointing out that what a non-proprietary browser will do.
 Some browsers might skip the unrecognized element entirely, some might
render it as if the unknown tags were not there, some might attempt
emulation which may or may not work.  Basically, what happens cannot be
predicted.

>For disadvantages to standards, I think you can also add:
>- not all user agents which are currently used support standards
>  adequately.

I meant to add that.  It is there now (locally).  I will wait until I
get some more feedback if any before uploading again.

>This is an unfortunate biggie - some designers might have been
>given the directive that they have to provide the same quality
>experience for old browsers.

There is a hidden advantage that is brought to mind by that.  If a
browser follows the standard, it *should* render the content of an
unknown element as if the unknown tags were not present.

>Are you able to give examples for each point, and link it off
>from each dot point to a diff page, for example ?  I really
>like how straight-to-the-point your table is, and it'd be
>good to keep it that way.

I think linking to more in-depth pages for each point is a good idea.
 Thanks.  If you know of any pages that have content fitting a point,
let me know.  Some points could probably link to the same page since
each advantage usually has a disadvantage: Standards are expensive now,
but they are cheaper in the future.

>:)
>
>regards,
>-steph

Thank you for the feedback.  Let me know if you see anything else I
should add.

--
Brant Langer Gurganus
The best life is the one worth living.