Re: Right Tools RE: Promotion of XHTML

At 07:28 01/01/2003 +1100, Steph wrote:

>IMHO, it's not enough to just say the W3C should really promote this
>or that - they are comparable to a standards body - lately, when I
>describe the kind of standards evanglism I am involved in to non-Web
>people, I mention a similarity to the ISO. Don't you think it is really
>up to us, designers and developers who have been converted, to preach
>to our colleagues and educate the next generation of developers?

Yes, yes, and once again, yes! This is the only way that standards will get
known about - by talking about them. Peer example, peer education, peer
pressure if you like - to get more and more people talking about standards
and the reasons why they a great advantage.

I got into standards because I was (and still am) lazy - I was looking for
ways of writing pages once for all browsers and browsing devices rather
than writing exceptions and exclusions. This is why the standards route was
attractive to me, and then I started learning about problems with
accessibility as I learned more about people's use of the web.

And now standards seem so attractive rather than any non-standard route,
not as an end in themselves but because I can continue to be lazy and code
once for all users.

As an aside, I wonder if IE7 will be less buggy with regards to stylesheet
compliance? If there ever is going to be an IE7, that is.

Regards

John