Re: CSS and Netscape

From: Joseph McLean <joseph@secondflux.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:44:07 -0700
To: "Thor Larholm" <public-evangelist-w3@jscript.dk>
Cc: "Marek Prokop" <mprokop@prokopsw.cz>, <public-evangelist@w3.org>

At 12:51 PM +0200 8/30/02, Thor Larholm wrote:
>...we have moved beyond HTML4 and into XHTML...

I wanted to ask the group about this.  What version of (X)HTML should a
competent web designer use this days?  Assuming that his/her design would
work in all versions.

I've been reading a lot about XHTML and liking it, but is any compatibility
sacrificed if I leave HTML behind and go straight to XHTML 1.1 for all my
work?  Will Netscape 4 survive this, thanks to the transitional
backwards-compatibility of XHTML?  Or is it safer, at this junction, to
still use HTML 4.0.1?

I've being doing this gig since the early nineties, so I'm used to waiting
(and waiting...) for good technology to be adopted across all pertinent
browsers.  Is the time right for universal use of XHTML?  Or are there
still caveats?

Wondering...

-Joseph