Re: CSS and Netscape

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marek Prokop" <mprokop@prokopsw.cz>
> Thor Larholm [SMTP:public-evangelist-w3@jscript.dk] wrote:
> > Give up Netscape 4 or give up standards.
>
> First, it *is* possible to code for NN4 using valid, strict
> (X)HTML and CSS. Of course, you can't create the same
> sofisticated layouts and visually perfect designs as for modern
> browsers, but your documents can still be fully accessible and
> usable.

We are in complete agreement on those points ;)

> Second, is not HTML 4.0 Transitional a valid standard? We may
> consider XHTML + CSS layout a better standard, however the
> transitional specs are standards as well and there is nothing
> wrong with a table layout, provided it's done properly.

I think this is where I got off on the wrong foot on the interpretation with
Austin. In my opinion (and personal as well as professional situation), we
have moved beyond HTML4 and into XHTML + CSS. The only browser we had to
leave behind was Netscape 4, and considering that Denmark has less than 1%
Netscape users (combined), that was hardly a difficult choice.

Of course HTML 4 Transitional is still a valid standard, and if Mike wants
Netscape 4 support he will most likely have to settle for it. I just hope he
is now aware of the limitations and degredations that he willingly impose on
himself through that decision.

Thor Larholm