Re: URI policy for thesaurus concepts

From: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 10:42:28 +0100
To: Thomas Bandholtz <thomas@bandholtz.info>
Cc: "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>, 'Jan Grant' <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, public-esw-thes@w3.org, public-esw@w3.org

In message <06c001c42eed$e904cfb0$fe78a8c0@Thomast40>, Thomas Bandholtz
<thomas@bandholtz.info> writes

>It never should by default!! A well established thesaurus easily counts
>100.000s and more concepts! The requester (be it human or machine) must be
>able to identify the thesaurus source without downloading the whole thing.
>
>I my personal vision, the "whole thing" *never* will be downloaded at once:
>avoid redunancy, and what the hell are we doing here? ---
>We are establish means to *link to specific* concepts and make clear where
>the come from.

Absolutely.  Assuming that the machine-readable description of the
thesaurus concept contains similarly-formatted references to its
"neighbouring" concepts (or that there is a form of query you can issue
which returns "all concepts with a link to this one"), then you can
browse up and down the thesaurus tree structure from the starting
concept by issuing multiple requests - if that is what you wish to do.

Richard Light
--
Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy