RE: Newspapers and RSS

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Cayzer, Steve wrote:

> Hardly a comprehensive summary, but I know the guardian does
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/rss/
>
> And I subscribe to the BBC (themed) news feeds
>
> [That's just labelled me, then :) ]

Incidentally yesterday I attended a talk by Anthony Hunter from UCL. One
of the things he's looking at is aggregating and merging newsfeeds
(well, the case study uses weather reports, but RSS has sufficient
structure to make his fusion rules work, I think) to take into account
inconsistency in the supplied data.

The technique would really rely on "semantic" markup in RSS, though:
that is, for instance, using RSS modules for weather, football reports,
etc - or being able to parse the interesting bits out of free text.

Unfortunately, I have a very good idea how fast my keys are moving.