Re: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] Local (non-URI) identifiers for concept s: support for concepts in multiple schemes

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:34:05 +0100
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair) " <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Cc: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, "'public-esw@w3.org'" <public-esw@w3.org>

Hi Al,

> If a datatype property is declared as an InverseFunctionalProperty, does the
> datatype get taken into account when inferring identity of individuals?

Yes. Two literals are only equal if they denote the same value. The
datatype defines the value space so two literals with the same lexical
representation but different datatypes can easily denote different values
and be different resources.

[Note that using IFP for a DatatypeProperty puts you into OWL/full.]

> I.e. if 'skos:localID' was inverse functional, would the following two
> individuals be smushed or not:
>
> ex:individualA  skos:localID  '001'^^<http://example.org/IDtype>
>
> ex:individualB  skos:localID  '001'^^<http://foo.org/IDtype>

Depends on the definition of the the datypes from example.org and foo.org.
They could denote the same value space and same lexical to value mapping
for '001' or not. If the processor had been told what those datatypes were
it ought to assume by default they were distinct and not smush.

Dave