Re: URIs for Concepts: Best Practices

At 10:08 23/04/04 +0100, Kal Ahmed wrote:
>I would prefer to say that the described thing is the abstract concept of
>Dog (Dog-ness ?) because the word "class" can be misinterpreted as meaning
>the OWL class Dog, for example. But I think you understood me correctly.

[ref. "dog-ness"...]

I'm reminded of a piece by Quine [1] - his base example is "rabbit", and he
comes up with terms like "rabbithood" and "rabbiteth" to illustrate the
linguistic challenges of determining what is indicated.

#g
--

[1] W. V. Quine, "Speaking of Objects", in "Ontological Relativity and
Other Essays"

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact