multilingual vocab - japanese examples

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:27:33 -0400
To: public-esw@w3.org

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200404/i18n/jptofu-example1.xml
http://rdfig.xmlhack.com/2004/04/13/2004-04-13.html#1081849465.502453

Quick hi from Japan. When I'm back I'd like to revisit Euro-wordnet in
context of this, SKOS, wordnet-in-rdf etc. Basically it is a quick
example that tries a few things:

Japanese Kanjii characters for element names (map to RDF classes,
either subclassing or sameAs classes from English-named vocab, or
directly from a Japanese dictionary as we did with the xmlns.com version
of wordnet in RDF. Also used kanjii for property names, and in URIs
(ie. IRIs).

We tried to come up with some examples of concepts which might be
treated in more detail in Japanese than in English. This links to
concerns in a European context for multilinugual vocabularies,
thesauri and (eg. wordnet -> eurowordnet) electronic dictionaries.

I'm looking for more examples, especially for terms that denote classes
of things, where those classes are associated with words in only some
languages. Suggestions/pointers welcomed.

cheers,

Dan