Re: fwd: FAQs, best practices, ESW Wiki

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 05:42, Graham Klyne wrote:
> On the matter of control...
>
> I thought that one of the features of a wiki system is that it's backed by
> CVS, so that if someone comes along and defaces the site, or makes other
> undesirable modifications, there's an opportunity to back out the
> changes.  Selectively.  Isn't that enough?

It's enough to prevent things from being lost forever,
but the work of doing the restoration (and noticing
that it needs doing) remains.

The good news is: it allows *anybody* to do that
restoration, not just a select few overworked
editors or administrators.

The other good news is: once the community has
a certain critical mass, the opportunity/obligation
to edit things that one disagrees with can turn
into endorsement of pages that are not edited.
(cf http://esw.w3.org/topic/WikiConsensus)

(Note that the revision control behind the ESW
wiki is a combination of MoinMoin's built-in
file-based history, which the general public
has access to, and a separate cron job
that periodically copies stuff into W3C's CVS
repository for more stable backup.)