Thesaurus / mapping references

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:46:15 -0400
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org
Cc: public-esw@w3.org

Crossposted; followups just to public-esw-thes please.

Forgot about this one from QL'98 position papers on RDF query:
In http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/queryservice.html
one scenario we implemented was to take two different data services (a couple of
internet catalogues at ILRT), each using different schemes, and exploit
mappings between the taxonomies to merge data into a single environment.

See section, "Example: Classification Scheme Mapping".

Not sure anything there is immediately useful for us now, but it was
interesting at the time, combining rule engines with the work we were
doing on RDF thesaurus stuff in the DESIRE project (one ancestor of
TIF).
http://www.desire.org/results/discovery/cat/mapclass_des.htm
http://www.desire.org/results/discovery/rdfthesschema.html

The inference engine we used, SiLRI, is now no longer maintained.
Neither is the parser SiRPAC. I think Biz/ed and SOSIG are still going
though :)

(though I don't know if they still use different schemes, otherwise this
might be a good dataset to revisit...). Kate, does Biz/ed use DDC and
SOSIG use UDC still?

Dan