Re: SWADE Workshop outline

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:43:34 +0100
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
CC: public-esw@w3.org

Dave Beckett wrote:

> As discussed our last telcon, here's more on the potential workshop
> that I suggested is organised and run.

I think is a great suggestion.

>   * Implementation techniques
>   * Storage models and database schemas
>   * Scalability, aggregation and provenance
>   * Lessons from using RDBMSes for semantic web storage
>   * Implementing RDF Datatypes

These topics are good and focus on the storage issues. I'd like to add:
  * Test data and queries for performance comparisons across designs.

The later topics are in danger of making the workshop too broad and I'd suggest
dropping them. The first few:

>   * APIs for query languages
>   * OWL and logic layer functionality - inference engines, validation

might be OK but the last couple:

>   * Network APIs for semantic web services - SOAP, REST, P2P, ...
>   * Web Service APIs - i.e. web service description such as WSDL

feel like they diffuse the topic to much.

> Expected Outcomes
>
>   * State of the current APIs
>   * Indication of state of potential API standardisation
>   * Implementation techniques
>   * Updated SWAD-E deliverables 10.1, 10.2

How about adding:
   * Proposals for a performance comparision test suite
?

Dave