[WP6] Experience with Edinburgh Schema Mapping Framework (ESME)

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 05:33:56 -0500
To: public-esw@w3.org

For WP6, I'm looking at various approaches for mapping XML data into RDF.

Recently I've been experimenting with a framework produced by Henry Thompson and
Ari Krupnikov at the University of Edinburgh. I now have a running installation of
their tools, which combine XSV (an XML Schema system) with XSLT stylesheets to
use XML Schema annotations to convert 'colloquial' XML into other representations.

Their code targets Java src and a very RDF-like First Order logic subset. I've
added an extra stylesheet which also outputs RDF as N-Ntriples. To do this I
had to make one hack, which is a specifciation of the URI for the namespace each
property belongs in.

Details are in the 00README.html file alongside all the src and output files I'm working
with. There are two worked scenarios currently, which were part of the original
bundle of files from Henry. I've tried to document things so you can see what
happens (most of the smarts is in XSV; it outputs an augmented PSVI infoset), and
plan to add more worked scenarios to link this approach to others we are exploring
in the project.

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200301/x2r/ht/a1/00README.html

At the f2f meeting, I'd like to discuss getting test case data for this work
that could be held in common for other workpackages (query, RDBMS mapping etc.), as
well as for testing other approaches to XML/RDF mapping.

Comments, suggestions etc welcome,

Dan