Re: FOAF and trust and certificates

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:13:56 +0100
To: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
CC: SWAD-E public discussion <public-esw@w3.org>

Graham Klyne wrote:

> But ... I was of the impression that SPKI is not widely used:  do you know
> otherwise?  Do you think it's a serious contender in the public key
> security space?

I agree it is not widely used and that is something of a problem. HP did
implement it for the ESpeak product though that is not widely used either ...]

However, the attraction of SDSI is it's decentralized nature - you don't need
global PKI to make it work. So it could be bootstrapped up for specific
applications relatively easily. I guess I was just wondering whether some of the
SDSI design principles could be reused in developing semantic web trust layer
demonstrations. Just a passing thought.

Dave