Re: iso-thes namespace not resolvable

Dear All,
I'm sorry the thes group is having so much trouble with the PIDs. I am
concerned that TC-37 should look carefully at what has happened with this
project to make sure nothing like this happens with us. We started out with
a grand project (isocat.org) under the sponsorship of MPI Nijmegen, but
over time we realized that we had two separate groups with diverging aims,
so we split into two resources. The language-oriented terminology
management group first mirrored the old isocat database in static form on a
reliable server and then worked to port the live version of the database to
an online terminology management system, and ISO set up a rerouting link on
the ISO CS server to point resolution inquiries to the new site. My concern
is that much of this work has been in the hands of a small number of
people. Our efforts worked and everything resolves nicely, but we need to
ensure that nothing happens in the future to mess things up.
Good luck with your efforts!
Best regards
Sue Ellen Wright, Chair TC 37/SC 3

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 7:28 AM Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> Hi Thomas, Christophe, Stella, everyone,
>
> Mea culpa: I was co-responsible of the skos-thes namespace with Johan De
> Smedt. Before Johan passed away he gave me the codes to access that would
> allow to change the redirection when TenForce would shut down the servers
> where the files were. The problem is that when this happened, purl.org
> was transitioned to Internet Archive with a new login system, and I cannot
> enter it. In the past months, I have tried to reach to Internet Archive,
> but so far the communication has been very intermittent and they've not
> managed to give me access.
> I guess there is a lesson to learn here in terms of reliability of the
> infrastructures for persistence...
>
> For the moment Joachim has made a copy of the latest ISO skos-thes files:
> http://zbw.eu/beta/external_identifiers/iso-thes/
>
> I am still a bit hesitant before asking to change the namespace, as long
> as there is a hope with purl.org (and with TenForce).
>
> Best,
>
> Antoine
> On 19/02/18 13:25, Stella Dextre Clarke wrote:
> > Thomas,
> >
> > I see Christophe Dupriez has tried again with Tenforce, and last week I
> sent a reminder to NISO. I do hope one of us will have some positive news
> soon. But in the meantime I know Antoine Isaac has been active too, and I'm
> sure he'll have some positive suggestions when time permits.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > Stella
> >

> > On 19/02/2018 11:14, Thomas Francart wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Does anyone has any news on the availability of the iso-thes namespace ?
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >> Thomas

> <mailto:stella@lukehouse.org>>:
> >>
> >>     Osma,
> >>
> >>     Thanks for pointing this out. As it happens, I've recently (with
> support also from Antoine Isaac) approached NISO to request that they find
> a place for the service on their server, as part of the official website
> for ISO 25964. They responded very promptly and I believe are willing, but
> unfortunately they are in the middle of moving all their stuff to a new
> website. So there will be a delay of a few weeks.
> >>
> >>     Sorry about that. I'll inform the list when we have clear news.
> >>
> >>     Stella Dextre Clarke
> >>
> >>     ---------------------------------------
> >>

> >>     On 17/10/2017 14:09, Osma Suominen wrote:
> >>
> >>         Hi,
> >>
> >>         I've noticed that the iso-thes namespace (
> http://purl.org/iso25964/skos-thes# <http://purl.org/iso25964/skos-thes#>)
> is no longer resolvable. The PURL redirects to
> http://pub.tenforce.com/schemas/iso25964/skos-thes# <
> http://pub.tenforce.com/schemas/iso25964/skos-thes#> but the server
> pub.tenforce.com <http://pub.tenforce.com> doesn't exist anymore:
> >>
> >>         $ host pub.tenforce.com <http://pub.tenforce.com>
> >>         Host pub.tenforce.com <http://pub.tenforce.com> not found:
> 3(NXDOMAIN)

> [...]
Sue Ellen Wright
Institute for Applied Linguistics
Kent State University
Kent OH 44242 USA
sellenwright@gmail.com

Terminology management: There is unfortunately no cure for terminology; you
can only hope to manage it. (Kelly Washbourne)