RE: Using iso-thes to publish 1:n-relations between skos:Concepts from different concept schemes

Hi Antoine,

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:37 AM, Antoine Isaac [mailto:aisaac@few.vu.nl] wrote:

> Sorry for the delay answering this email.

No problem: I'm looking for a good solution, not a quick one...

> You are right in your understanding of ISO-THES' CompoundEquivalence is rather
> between terms/labels and concepts.
>
> MADS/RDF may have something better, with madsrdf:ComplexType and
> madsrdf:componentList
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/rdf/

> But perhaps the closest thing available is the XKOS pattern for correspondences:
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/XKOS/1.0/OWL/xkos.html#correspondences

> (in fact I've delayed this mail because I wanted to review XKOS)
>
> I'm not sure it does all you need, though. XKOS doesn't have 'typed correspondences'
> of the form of 'OR' and 'AND' combinations, which were identified as a requirement in
> the SKOS context.
> The names they use are also not so great. See
> https://github.com/linked-statistics/xkos/issues/31

Yes, I've been looking at XKOS, too, particularly for publishing the MACS dataset. I do like the approach since it makes the relation between the two concepts a first class citizen, so that you don't need to use reification if you want to add metadata to it. OTOH it makes it harder to use in a linked data environment when you publish one vocabulary and simply wants to link to another one (e. g. GND to LCSH or GND to STW). So currently my tendency would be to use mads/rdf.

Thanks for your comment. If others have insights, please let me know.

Thanks,

Lars