Re: how to: ordered collection of a Concept

On 16/11/2013 17:25, ZENG, MARCIA wrote:
> Hi, Stella, There have been two threats going on for the same
> questions.
Hopefully they are Threads rather than Threats :-)
But yes it's hard to reply to any of it without feeling a bit lost.

 > I am including all of them in this thread so they could see what you
 > suggested to Vladimir.
> I summarize two sorts of issues:
>
> Issue 1. Regarding ordered siblings. As I indicated before, 'ordered
> children' is the 'ordered siblings' issue. Patricia explained
> clearly: (1) In AAT, the siblings are by default alphabetical except
> if another order is strongly warranted (e.g., due to a time-based
> orientation, in cases where it would be confusing and seem wrong to
> expert end-users if the order were alphabetical). (2) The order is
> coded in the database, so the siblings being either a) alpha or b)
> forced. (3) Gregg did the scan of those ordered siblings. They are
> spread among 194 families, total about 2000 individuals.
I don't believe there is any issue or problem about ordering. It's a
great feature, when you have the resources to apply it.

> I did not follow through the final decision after we indicated that
> skos:notation does not apply in AAT's case. However I think this
> still needs to be addressed and implied correctly: In principle, AAT
> does not employ a notation system, like almost all thesauri. The
> identifiers used by Gatty Vocabs do not possess semantics or
> systematic ordering meanings. Re: Vladmir's reply "I think that [AAT]
> identifiers quite match the definition of skos:notation given in the
> SKOS Primer and SKOS Reference (they don't say a notation should be
> sortable)." November 11, 2013 12:06 PM.  Now I think the meaning of
> skos:notation is broader than the best practices in structured
> vocabularies because we always think of a notation system (where
> 'system' implies the minimum characteristics). But in terms of
> definitions, both ISO 25964's and SKOS definitions did not emphasize
> on the systematic part. Maybe this could be re-visited?
I don't believe there is much problem here either. The ISO 25964
definition of notation is supported by examples that make it pretty
clear. Maybe the SKOS definition could be improved (but I hope to be
lazy and leave that to someone else!) If any work is to be done, it
should be in the context of standardizing classification schemes rather
than thesauri.

> Issue 2. Regarding the node labels (and guide terms) I sent some
> suggestions last weekend, similar to yours regarding node labels and
> guide terms, after the discussions in the third threads among
> skos-iso members, especially Leonard's suggestions. I also sent the
> extracted definitions/explanations from ISO 25964-1 for some of the
> concepts discussed. My suggestions were: (1) Treat true node labels
> as node labels, keep one preferred in each language, no alternative
> label for any language. (--That was one of the questions.) (2) Some
> of the guide terms are clear concepts and AAT team is already dealing
> with them. (3) Some other guide terms are representing very general
> concepts but AAT does not want to use in indexing. I consider they
> are the labels for general concepts. (This is similar to your
> suggestion, Stella, right? "One workaround might be to ignore all
> those angle brackets and treat all the guide terms as true
> concepts.")
Marcia, it's plain that Getty has a project under way for dealing with
node labels and I don't know enough about it to comment. My remarks
about workarounds  were pretty limited, since I don't know what size of
budget/workforce is available to overhaul the whole thesaurus. Your
categories (1) and (2) sound straightforward enough, provided someone
has the time/resource to sort them all out. But as for category (3) -
general concepts - I'd prefer to look at some specific examples before
making any suggestions. (The workaround you have quoted above is not one
I'd really recommend, for the reason explained in my original message.)

Finally, it's great to know Patricia and her team are taking this
project so seriously; I wish you every success in sorting it out.
Regards to All,
Stella
Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant and Project Leader, ISO NP25964
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
stella@lukehouse.org