Re: Specializations of skos:broader in ISO25964

On 11/14/13 9:23 PM, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:
>>> iso-thes:broaderTransitive a owl:ObjectProperty;
>>>     skos:scopeNote """
>>> Defined as a disjunction of broaderGenericTransitive and broaderPartitiveTransitive (BGT+BPT).
>>> Unlike skos:broader, this property allows paths of BG and BP but not BI, nor mixed paths of BG+BP.
>>> Despite the name, this property is NOT transitive, because it excludes mixed paths.
>>> To comply with thesaurus design principles regarding query expansion, you should use this property instead of skos:broaderTransitive.
>>> """.
>>> People in the know should use iso-thes:broaderTransitive and not skos:broaderTransitive.
>
>> name and function would be quite confusing, for these who know skos:broaderTransitive.
>
> If you agree with Jutta's presentation, then iso-thes:broaderTransitive is skos:broaderTransitive "DONE RIGHT".
> By "people in the know" I mean
> "people who understand the intricacies of BT and know some thesauri use BTI but it should not be used for query expansion".
>
>> If data consumers want to get a view of all (transitive closure of) BTG and BTP,
>> then they can just SPAQRL for the statement of both
>> (transitive super-properties of) BTG and BTP at once
>
> If iso-thes:broaderTransitive is the right property to use for query expansion, that's enough justification to have it.

I have not read Jutta's presentation--perhaps later if I fund the time.
My argument is purely formal. Calling "transitive" a property that's not formally transitive is nonsense.
If there's a right motivation for the property then it certainly will allow to find a better name.

Best,

Antoine