[JDS:>] scope note typically is the instruction of how/when to use the concept for classification (as per ISO 25964-1).
The definition note is not required, nut typically gives a full formal definition of the concept.

> 2. How can one model :rich" skos:notes to include extra info (e.g. provenance)?
> SKOSXL allows you to attach extra info to labels by treating them as nodes on their own. Unfortunately
> it does not allow you the same for notes (IMHO an oversight).
> Some alternatives (but I don't like either one):
>
> A. No range is stated for the SKOS documentation properties [1] so it's consistent to have a node
> there, eg
>   <concept> skos:note
>     [rdf:value "note";
>      dct:contributor :someone;
>      dct:created "2013-07-24"^^xsd:date].
>
> a similar example is shown in SKOS Core Guide: Versioning and Change Management [2]
>     <skos:historyNote rdf:parseType="Resource">
>       <rdf:value>The preferred label was changed from 'pink' to 'pink (colour)'.</rdf:value>
>       <dc:date>2004-10-08</dc:date>
>     </skos:historyNote>
>
> Questions
> - What type to use for this node? skosxl:Label or none?
> - What to use for the data property: rdf:value or skosxl:literalForm ?
> - The big disadvantage is that apps would expect skos:note to be a literal...

[JDS:>] several solutions have been implemented by different implementations.
XMLLiteral also allows to have XHTML as a literal value - though then identification of the note language still requires a complex structure.
Eurovoc uses the approach above with a eurovoc specific literalForm property because skos-xl defines the domain of xl:literalForm to be an xl:Label.
Example:
<skos:scopeNote rdf:nodeID="node16o8pa88dx14079"/>
<rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="node16o8pa88dx14079">
 <ev:language>hr</ev:language>
 <ev:noteLiteral rdf:parseType="Literal"><p>Sporazum o međunarodnoj trgovini tekstilom.</p></ev:noteLiteral>
</rdf:Description>

> B. Dual representation
> SKOS says that SKOSXL labels should be accessible as SKOS labels [3].

[JDS:>] To accommodate applications not handling skos-xl, it seems best to publish
- xl:prefLabel/xl:literalForm and the inferred skos:prefLabel
- likewise for other types of labels (alt, hidden, ...)