Re: Modeling acronym and abbreviation Labels scenario

Dear Bradley/Antoine,
I suspect that Antoine intended to write:
<skos:Concept rdf:about"#:tripleDataEncryptionAlgorithm">
   <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Triple Data Encryption
Algorithm</skos:prefLabel>
   <skos:hiddenLabel xml:lang="en">Triple DEZ</skos:hiddenLabel>
   <skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">Triple DES</skos:altLabel>
   <skos:notation
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">3DES</skos:notation>

As well as the small correction in the above, I wonder why "3DES" would
be handled as a notation. Bradley's message does not mention needing a
notation. A notation has a different function from either abbreviations
or acronyms.
Why not treat all the respectable alternatives as altlabel, thus:

<skos:Concept rdf:about"#:tripleDataEncryptionAlgorithm">
   <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Triple Data Encryption
Algorithm</skos:prefLabel>
   <skos:hiddenLabel xml:lang="en">Triple DEZ</skos:hiddenLabel>
   <skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">Triple DES</skos:altLabel>
   <skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">3DES</skos:altLabel>

If you do this, you fail to declare whether 3DES is an abbreviation or
an acronym or a synonym or a near-synonym or a common name or a
scientific name or etc, but in most applications it is unnecessary to
specify what kind of a non-preferred term it is. Just ignore this
suggestion If you DO need to pick out those non-preferred terms that are
acronyms or abbreviations (or if you cannot accept more than one
ordinary non-preferred term).
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant and Chair, ISKO UK
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
stella@lukehouse.org