From:   Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
To:     Hong Sun/AXIFX/AGFA@AGFA
Cc:     <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, Jos De Roo/AMDUS/AGFA@AGFA, Giovanni
Mels/AMCOH/AGFA@AGFA
Date:   08/04/2013 06:06 PM
Subject:        Re: ISSUES on disjoint of skos:exactMatch and
skos:broaderTransitve  (skos:broadMatch)

Dear Hong,

Thanks a lot for sharing all this!
The need you've identified could be indeed shared by many others.  In fact
there was some stuff available here and there...

I've just created a new page on the SKOS wiki, trying to summarize all I
know--sorry for these I've forgotten.
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/SKOS/Validation

Feel free to add any details there, or to create sub-pages in that space,
if you want to add a lot :-)

Best regards,

Antoine

> Dear Antoine,
>
> Thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation!
>
> I agree with your claim to keep the constraint on mapping level. In the
case I reported, it make sense to put the pattern as non-consistant, but I
understand there might be other cases do not wish to see this constraint
in SKOS specification.

> In fact, we have a set of SKOS rules made by Giovanni Mels, expressed as
N3 rules.
_http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/skos-rules_ <
http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/skos-rules.html>.
> We use EYE N3 rule engine (_http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/_) to
execute these rules.

> Now the problem is that I can not simply add a new rule to our existing
SKOS-Rules to detect the pattern I reported. This is because our SKOS
Rules are created strictly following the SKOS specification. If I add an
integrity constraint for the pattern { ?x skos:exactMatch ?y. ?x
skos:broaderTransitive ?y. } in our rules, we can not name it as
SKOS-rules any more as it is taking constraint check that is not stated in
SKOS specification.

> Therefore, I created an extra rule set to hold constraints which is not
explicitly stated in SKOS specification, but still considered as best to
avoid.
_http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/skos-extra-rules_
> Currently, I only put a constraint check on { ?x skos:exactMatch ?y. ?x
skos:broaderTransitive ?y. }.

> Meanwhile, is it possible for SKOS to establish a space to aggregate
those *BETTER NOT TO USE PATTERNS* (e.g. the one I reported)?
> Because although I created my skos-extra-rules, it is lack of authority.
If a false is detect by the rule, we can not consider it as inconsistency
defined by SKOS specification.
> But if we can collect these *BETTER NOT TO USE PATTERNS* in a place hold
by SKOS, then when we detect such a pattern, at least we can say it is not
recommended by SKOS.

mailto:aisaac@few.vu.nl?Subject=Re%3A%20ISSUES%20on%20disjoint%20of%20skos%3AexactMatch%20and%20skos%3AbroaderTransitve%20%20(skos%3AbroadMatch)&In-Reply-To=%3C51F12BB9.9000803%40few.vu.nl%3E&References=%3C51F12BB9.9000803%40few.vu.nl%3E
mailto:public-esw-thes@w3.org?Subject=Re%3A%20ISSUES%20on%20disjoint%20of%20skos%3AexactMatch%20and%20skos%3AbroaderTransitve%20%20(skos%3AbroadMatch)&In-Reply-To=%3C51F12BB9.9000803%40few.vu.nl%3E&References=%3C51F12BB9.9000803%40few.vu.nl%3E
>/> /
> Dear Hong Sun,
>
> Thanks a lot for the note, and the careful reading of the specs and
minutes!

> In fact I'm afraid I'll lack the time to dig things further. I *think*
the resolution to issue-73 was implemented differently because the
intention was to focus on constraints that apply at the level of
properties dedicated to matching, not to the level where matching
properties interplay with the 'normal' semantic relations.
> In general at the time we felt we lacked evidence for including in the
base model constraints, which would put on a same level the semantic
relations most often created by humans and the matching relations very
often produced by (semi-)automatic scripts...

> Also, the cases that could occur, like yours, actually reflected errors
that could be caught 'earlier', i.e., at the levels of original matching
relationships. Namely, if one finds
> <A1>  skos:exactMatch  <B1>.
> <A2>  skos:exactMatch  <B1>.
> There's already something fishy. Why would a concept from one scheme be
exactly semantically equivalent to two different concepts from another
scheme?

> That being said you can of course create your own rules to do such
checking, as you point out. And share these rules with the community!
> I assume this will be interesting to many -- a lot of efforts on SKOS
quality (qSKOS, SKOSify, ASKOSI...) have already constraints in this
spirit. The point is that it may not be relevant to all; and this is what
makes including such constraints in the base SKOS standard a tricky thing!

> Best regards,
>
> Antoine
>

>  > Dear Editors,
>  >
>  > I am using SKOS for terminology mapping, and wish to use SKOS for
integrity check.
>  >
>  > My use case is that when mapping from one scheme A to another scheme
B, I want to avoid overruling the hierarchy of the original scheme (A).
>  > Therefore, I want to find out bad patterns like below:
>  >
>  > <A1>  skos:broaderTransitive  <A2>.    -stated/deduced in scheme A
>  >
>  > --when the mapping is not good, I may receive the facts below during
the mapping process.
>  > <A1>  skos:exactMatch  <B1>.          -introduced by mapping
>  > <A2>  skos:exactMatch  <B1>.           -introduced by mapping
>  >
>  > As skos:exactMatch is transitive, I can then deduce <A1>
skos:exactMatch  <A2>.
>  >
>  > I would consider this deduced fact violates the
skos:broaderTransitive relation stated in scheme A.
__http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/__
>  > I found skos:exactMatch is only disjoint with skos:broadMatch; there
is no statement that skos:exactMatch is disjoint with
skos:broaderTransitive in the spec.
>  > "S46 skos:exactMatch is disjoint with each of the properties
skos:broadMatch and skos:relatedMatch. "
>  >
>  > Of course I can still make my rules to detect such a pattern, but
then my integrity check rule is not based on SKOS any more.
>  >
>  > Meanwhile, I found in ISSUE 73, decision is made to consider
skos:exactMatch is disjoint with skos:broaderTransitive (different with
what finally stated on the specification)
>  > "2008-07-01: [rrs] RESOLVED: issue-73 is resolved by skos:exactMatch
is disjoint with skos:broaderTransitive and skos:related--
__http://www.w3.org/2008/07/01-swd-minutes.html#item05__"
>  >
>  > in the mentioned minutes, it is also stated:
>  > *"RESOLUTION: issue-73 is resolved by skos:exactMatch is disjoint
with skos:broaderTransitive and skos:related"*
>  >
>  > So my question is:
>  > Why the specfication did not take the decision made in ISSUE 73?
>  > Given the user case above, together with the decsion made in ISSUE
73, does it make sense to conside skos:exactMatch and
skos:broaderTransitive as disjoint?