Re: Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

On 12 November 2012 12:25, François-Paul Servant
<francois-paul.servant@noos.fr> wrote:

> people seem to agree to keep SKOS concepts and "real world things" (such as those identified by dbPedia URIs) in separate spaces: dbPedia:Michelle_Obama is not a skos:Concept.
>
> What property should be used to link a SKOS concept to the corresponding "real world thing"?
> One suggestion in the thread is to use umbel:linksEntity. Is there agreement on a given property?

We added a 'focus' property to the FOAF spec for such situations;
details at http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_focus

"

Property: foaf:focus

focus - The underlying or 'focal' entity associated with some
SKOS-described concept.
Status:testing
Domain:having this property implies being a Concept
Range:every value of this property is a Thing"

"The focus property relates a conceptualisation of something to the
thing itself. Specifically, it is designed for use with W3C's SKOS
vocabulary, to help indicate specific individual things (typically
people, places, artifacts) that are mentioned in different SKOS
schemes (eg. thesauri).

W3C SKOS is based around collections of linked 'concepts', which
indicate topics, subject areas and categories. In SKOS, properties of
a skos:Concept are properties of the conceptualization (see 2005
discussion for details); for example administrative and record-keeping
metadata. Two schemes might have an entry for the same individual; the
foaf:focus property can be used to indicate the thing in they world
that they both focus on. Many SKOS concepts don't work this way; broad
topical areas and subject categories don't typically correspond to
some particular entity. However, in cases when they do, it is useful
to link both subject-oriented and thing-oriented information via
foaf:focus.

FOAF's focus property works alongside its other topic-oriented
constructs: topic, primaryTopic are used when talking about the
topical emphasis of a document. The notion of primaryTopic is
particularly important in FOAF as it provides an indirect mechanism
for identifying things indirectly. A similar approach is explored by
the TDB URI scheme. FOAF includes topic-oriented functionality to
address its original goals of linking people to information, as well
as to other people, through the use of linked information."

> Are SKOS concepts to be considered as "Non Information Resource"? (and must we therefore use 303-redirect for SKOS concepts identified by slash URIs?) The word "concept" seems to imply that they are.

(I don't think or talk in those terms, personally; is 'Hamlet' an
information resource? or the Bible? Or the London tube map? does it
matter?)

Dan