Re: UDEF Representation in RDF

Hello, Thad -

I agree with your observation. But all I was really meaning by "all combinations in between" are that Military.Aircraft.Asset_United-States.Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier is a sub-case of:

    Military.Aircraft.Asset_Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier
    Military.Aircraft.Asset_Assigned.Identifier
    Military.Aircraft.Asset_Identifier
    Aircraft.Asset_United-States.Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier
    Aircraft.Asset_Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier
    Aircraft.Asset_Assigned.Identifier
    Aircraft.Asset_Identifier
    Asset_United-States.Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier
    Asset_Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier
    Asset_Assigned.Identifier
    Asset_Identifier

On 9 May 2012, at 15:45, Thad Guidry wrote:

> > Is the  relationship between the fields strictly one of about-ness; everything that is in some way about a United-States.Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier it is in somewhat about an Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier?
> >
> A Military.Aircraft.Asset_United-States.Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier is a Military.Aircraft.Asset_Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier. It is also a Aircraft.Asset_United-States.Air-Force.Assigned.Identifier, an Asset_Identifier, and all the combinations in between.
>
> I don't believe we should think in terms of joins in the classical sense, but rather about deductions to be made from the information contained in different records, that might produce new records containing derived information. (This is a bit like the difference between SPARQL and SQL). UDEF tagging can make a meaningful contribution to such deductions, even if the tags cannot be used to identify fields on which to join records.
>

> I don't think it is really about "all combinations in between", but instead this sounds like what your really just trying to allude to is that:
>
> The United States maintains an Armed Force in the category of Air Defense.  And similarly, the Royal Canadian Air Force is an Armed Force in the same category of Air Defense.  And that most "Air Defense categorized Armed Forces" typically will maintain an "Aircraft Asset ID" that is assigned by that Armed Force.
>
> --
> -Thad
> http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry

Regards,